It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you are registered to vote.
Closing date for registration for the General Election on Thursday, December 12, is November 26 and that day is also the cut off for applications for postal votes and applications for proxy votes.
You can register to vote if you are:
- 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18)
- UK, Republic of Ireland or qualifying Commonwealth citizen. Qualifying Commonwealth citizens are those who have leave to enter or remain in the UK, or do not require such leave
- a citizen of a European Union country living in the UK
- a citizen of the Channel islands, the Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory living in the UK
You can register to vote now through the GOV.UK website. It is updated every month, which is useful if you move house and need to register at your new address.
You will be prompted to fill in your:
- date of birth
- national insurance number (on your national insurance card, payslips, or letters about tax).
Once your details have been verified you will receive a confirmation letter.